One of the most genius pieces of dialog in a film released last year, is from Pitch Perfect. If you haven’t seen it, do! It is, as my mother would say, a total riot. Though if you are squeamish, be warned, there are some gnarly (though unrealistic) vomit scenes.
Near the start of the movie Rebel Wilson introduces herself to Brittany Snow and Anna Camp as “Fat Amy” when they ask her why she would call herself that she responds, “So twig bitches like you don’t do it behind my back.” A) Rebel Wilson is a comedy goddess B) the writers of this film knew what they were doing. That one line set a precedent for the rest of the movie and caused the audience to think long and hard about how we, as a whole, view people who are not “up to par” or, heaven forbid, different.
How many times do we judge someone based upon who we think they are, when in reality they are nothing like we assume. Just because someone isn’t a size two, four, six, or sixteen, does not mean they are not the coolest person you have ever met. Just because someone doesn’t look like you, sound like you, or behave in a manor you deme acceptable, doesn’t mean what they know, do, or say isn’t of value. Assuming these things will only exclude you (and you may just miss out on knowing some of the most amazing people).
It is a struggle, but learn to be happy with who you are and where you are at and the good in the world will find you and meet you there. The bad in the world will find the cracks and try to sneak its way in. The trick is to face it head on (perhaps even finding humor in the faults).
You are 95% awesome. Don’t let the other 5% of not so awesomeness or “twig bitches” destroy who you are supposed to be.