I, under normal circumstances, am not one to believe the delusion that a celebrity and I could ever truly be friends, 'if only they met me'. I'm just not one of those girls. I don't 'feel like I know them' because I have read about them in the tabloids or seen them on some show, I recognize the fact that they are playing a character 90% of the time, and the other 10% is their real life which is none of my damn business. However... we all have our moments or in my case 'Mindys'.
I just finished reading Mindy Kalings book, "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)" which is brilliant. It was gifted to me by a friend who knows me too well and recognizes my weakness for literature which is both humorous and strikes a little too close to home (FOMO is real you guys). This book encapsulates so many wonderful things, you will find yourself laughing out loud and if you don't there is something genuinely wrong with you! This book is a mystery prize bag at the arcade and everything inside is AWESOME!
Mindy has an incredible sense of humor, she had a passion for her career early on in life (to a nerdy level), loves food, hates sports and is open about her love for (normally ostracized) romantic comedies... you guys... these things are just the tip of the iceberg for why I feel like we would be best friends, kinship has never been this real.
Writing that made me question everything I thought I knew about myself... but also it felt so right.
Mindy would fit well in the GHC. Though she is a minority (in her long standing friendships with people of the same gender, not in her ethnicity) I feel like she would blend right in; welcoming our brash form of affection and tendencies towards inappropriate humor. She speaks off the cuff and can laugh at herself without being self deprecating (a rarity in most people); top it off with a hefty dollop of genuine wit and you've got yourself the hot fudge sunday of individuals- perfectly sweet and incredibly well rounded.
Now, I'm not going to say we would be bffs straight away, these things take time. But part of me can't help but think, if she met me (and my friends) we would just know, this is real friendship... like the kind they write about in movies, like Blaire and Serena or Summer and Marissa, it is inevitable that we will hate each other at some point, but at the end of the season we will be right back where we started; eating macarons (or macaroni) while talking about our love lives.
Mindy- girl, should you ever need a friend I got your back. You make this world a better place just by being in it. Well done.