I realize this is coming a little late, seeing how it is already the middle of December, however, since I started the practice of writing down one thing that I was thankful for everyday in October, I decided to share those things with you again from this past month. To be honest I fail miserably at actually doing it each day but I have managed, with the help of instagram for memory cues, to write out something I was thankful for each day of the month. As I finished filling out the notes for November I couldn’t help but feel more at peace, more thankful for life right now. It was a month of change, adventure and struggle, but I know that it’s leading to great things.
It’s funny that I am writing such a thought-filled post today. You see, as I was going about my morning, I began to think about how I tend to be far more introspective, deep, and dreamy when I write in the early hours of the day, as I am one to do (as I am doing now), and how I tend to allow my far more snarky, sometimes smart ass side come out after some of the days events have worn away that “new/shiny” feeling of a fresh start. One day, I think my sarcasm may just win out and take over and you will all be left with a twisted mess of words that say one thing but mean another entirely; leaving you utterly confused while I sit giggling to myself at how cleaver I find it to be (hopefully that day doesn’t come until I’m old and senile… hopefully).
Regardless, in order to keep myself in check and stay accountable to some force in the universe (that force currently being the world wide web and you) I have decided to post my list from November of the things I was thankful for, big and small.
-TODAY I AM THANKFUL FOR-
1. Waking up in our new apartment in LA!
2. Spending quality time and having deep conversations with Hannah and Jewan
3. Making it out of Ikea alive and finding joy in the simple things… also for Crate and Barrek being amazing!
4. Having the hard conversations and choosing to let things go, acting the way I want to feel.
5. Being productive
6. Taking time for meditation and finding a kindred spirit in Hannah
7. Alone time and goodies from NYC! (Erica Weiner bracelet came and antiquing in LA is just the coolest)
8. Cold weather making for a cozy kind of day
9. Getting over it and taking a walk in the park
10. Jill coming to visit!
11. Brunch, bike rides in Santa Monic/Venice, Umami burger, Movie Night and 2 + hours of pillow talk
12. Making time and meeting new friends (Mary is just the sweetest!)
13. Sharing experiences, photo shoot, dinner, drinks, bottega louie, tacos, clueless = magical.
14. Being able to sit outside and write
15. Drews support and Gold Finger Movie nights
17. Homemade pizza and the Ai Weiwei documentary times with Megan and Cory, the coolest kids
18. Having a drowned phone made for peaceful writing times at Handsome Coffee
24. Hikes in Griffith park
25. Christmas movie night
26. Tackling projects that have been put off
27. Downtown Target and apple tarts
28. Friends taking the time to give advice (chats with Ben)
29. The kindness of others and not spending 6 hours at the DMV
30. Glamping in the living room, watching Downton Abbey and snuggling
As the days passed, one into the other, I felt that time had slowed… but really as I read back over these moments and thought of all that has happened, I feel that life is now, more than ever, moving at an execrated rate. I won’t give you the typical bloggers quote book on “living in the now, because now is all you have” but I will share some Up All Night wisdom. When faced with trying to do too much, when feeling not fully yourself, your mind often races and becomes scattered; in those moments remember what Ava’s Yogi friend said to Reagan, “only a quiet mind can be truly present” aka slow your roll, calm the f*#$ down and go with the flow.
P.s. I, of course, am thankful for you, but if anyone asks I only like you for your looks.