At the start of October I set out to make room for things in my life that would bring about learning, happiness, and above all flow. I had been having a really hard time “getting into my groove”, I felt like the Emperor turning into a Llama, and I too didn’t know how to adjust (not that moving to LA is quite as drastic as turning into a llama, but trust me, it certainly has its moments and sometimes I feel that might just be easier). I haven’t kept a perfect record on accomplishing the various tasks everyday (for quite the amount of time I would like), but I do find that having a rough outline of the things I want to accomplish has helped me feel a much greater sense of satisfaction at the end of the day.
There is one item on the list that may not give me a great deal of satisfaction, per-say, but it certainly helps me keep perspective.
I gave myself the task of writing down at least one thing that I was thankful for everyday. It didn’t have to be a big thing, I wanted to keep it as simple and stress free as possible so that I wouldactually do it. I took a paperback Moleskine notebook (any notebook would do, we just so happen to have a million Moleskines laying around, Drew tends to buy them in bulk) and at the top of the page I wrote:
TODAY I AM THANKFUL FOR…
When I looked at this header it seemed a bit silly… maybe a little weak? Surely I could conjure something more profound, something that would carry more weight. But the more I thought about it, the more apparent it became that the simple, point of fact, phrasing was exactly as it should be… Today I am thankful for… it leads my heart to wander through my day, leafing through my memories as if they were the pages in an epic novel. Night after night staring at the pages, finding a moment to cling to and jotting it down to keep as a token of beauty.
The list, though simple, takes me through my days and makes me accountable. If I am not looking for the good in the world how can I see it? Let alone be thankful for it. Time passed and I grew to resent the list on days of struggle, but in the end, I am always happy I have it as a reminder of just how good life can be.
Today I am thankful for…
1. The oportunities in our lives
2. Having people who love and miss us, as much as we love and miss them
3. Choosing to see the good
4. Beauty in all its forms
5.Cooler Weather… mmm jacket season
6. Second chances and cheesy cards to say I’m sorry (Apartment hunting, Oy!)
7. Being able to work with Drew on projects (working well together)
8. Going with the flow
9. Things not working until they DO! (we found our new home!!!)
10. Conflict resolution
11. Drews patients (helping me study for my dmv test)
12. Spending time with good people ( photo shoot at Clay in Long Beach)
13. Being able to travel (People watching in the airport may be one of my favorite things)
14. Seeing all of the people I love in once place! (David and Mars Birthday party back home)
15. Stepping back and reevaluating, what stresses/tasks are truly worth our time, then moving forward and not staying stuck
16. Doing what I love (being back in my Salon with my Clients!)
17. Sunshine and the most perfect fall day
18. Zac and Mar being a cupel of heros and opening his home to us (life savers for sure)
19. SO SO thankful for the opportunity to celebrate our mariage with dear friends! (Our reception was incredible!!!)
20. Pancake cake at the Meanwhile and the best people to share it with
21. Choosing happiness over guilt and obligation
22. Time spent chatting with Teresa
23. Safe travels back to california
24. Accomplishing a LOT in one day
25. Taking time to breath
27. Deciding to just go and do, not stay stagnent
28. Rest… stopping and letting our bodies recover from all of the chaos (go watch Ruby Sparksright now… it will change your life)
29. Getting the keys to our new HOME!
30. Megan, Danny, Vern, and Mark making photo shoots fun and filled with laughter (and Natalie Portman rapping)
31. Being able to afford movers (hiring them was the best choice of our lives!)
As I read over this list I am brought back to those days and those moments that may other wise slip past into obscurity. Today I am thankful for… the challenge, the grace, the beauty, and the struggle. I am thankful for the moments, the gentle voice that whispers, “there is always good”. Today I would challenge you to stop, rest your mind and think, what am I thankful for?